Admit it nothing can be more beneficial than staying close to nature. Amidst of busy lifestyle, pollution, and honks of car, if something can save urban people is Gardening.
Gardening is a recreational activity and hence lots of people practice it in their leisure time. It is a fun activity for some and relaxing for others. Some love to play with soil and for others, gardening is a serious business.
What do you like about gardening?
The popularity of Gardening in Covid-19
Covid 19 shook the entire humankind. No one can believe that a small virus has compelled people to stay in their houses. Two options are left with people: Gardening and Home
But Most of the countries decided to lockdown their citizens to avoid the disease spread. And hence people were left with nothing. With plenty of time in their hand, people start learning new or recalling their old hobbies.
And in this turmoil, one hobby appealed to them most. Both in the sense of pleasure as well as necessity. The only way one can fight Coronavirus is by staying healthy and happy.
Gardening satisfies both conditions. And this is the reason why the popularity of gardening planting skyrocketed in 2020 and also in 2021.
Gardening helps them to stay close to Mother Nature and improve their mental and emotional health.
Also, with it, they can grow healthy and organic fruits and vegetables themselves.
Moreover, even in post-covid, it is estimated that its popularity will increase. Why?
- Covid-19 has taught people about the importance of a healthy lifestyle. Thus people will likely use gardening to grow healthy and organic fruits and vegetables by themselves.
- Covid has left an unforgettable scar in everyone’s mind. It will take some time to heal. Gardening can be one of the ways to ensure their mental and emotional well-being.
- Gardening has lots of other benefits.
- Gardening is a cheaper hobby and saves you money.
Benefits of gardening
Still not convinced? Here are some proven benefits of gardening which can help you in this tough situation.
- Self-esteem: gardening can help you to row your Self-esteem. In This busy and tough competitive world, it is easy for a person to lose their self-esteem.
Taking care and watching a plant grow can help your self-esteem grow. Every grown plant and tackling challenges will give you a sense of pride and accomplishment.
- Boost immunity: Well, don’t be surprised!!
Gardening can help your immunity to grow in two ways:
- When exposed to sunlight, our skin absorbs Vitamin D. This Vitamin strengthens our bones, boosts our immune system, and lowers the risk of cancer.
- People are exposed to many good bacteria while gardening. This bacteria stimulates the release of serotonin in our body. This hormone helps to fight depression and also boosts the immune system.
- Stress-buster: With news of illness and death everywhere, anyone can become stressed. Gardening can act as a great stress buster in this time.
As mentioned above point release of serotonin lowers the stress hormones in the body and fights off depression.
- Heart health: It is medically proved that gardening can improve your heart health in many ways:
- With all those gardening activities you can easily burn several calories. And release the excess burden of your heart.
- Lowers the risk of heart attacks.
- Lowers blood pressure levels.
- Improves cardiovascular health.
- Healthy Lifestyle: Covid 19 has taught us the importance of health and fitness. With the help of a garden, you can easily produce your food and stay healthy.
You don’t need to be an expert or have a big space to grow your fresh produce. There are many tips you can use to grow them in small spaces. Moreover, you can start with some simple vegetables or fruits.
- Physical exercise: gardening involves many physical activities such as weeding, sowing, digging, watering, bending, and holding-moving heavy objects. With those entire ones can easily fulfill their daily exercise requirement.
- Hand strength: Gardening involves hand for most activities. It helps to use your every hand muscle and hence improve and builds your hand strength.
- Happy and satisfied: Gardening is a joyful activity. One can feel happy and watching their plants grow.
Moreover, while in gardening you will encounter many challenges. Each solved challenge will make you happy and increase your sense of pride.
- Improves family bond: You can practice home gardening either solo or with your whole family. This is one of the best ways to bring your family close.
Gardening involves different activities and every family member can do some. Moreover, your whole family can share the benefits of gardening and live and happy life.
- Responsibility: With the help of gardening, you can teach your children the importance of responsibility. It is beneficial for both young ones and teens:
- For young ones, it’s a great opportunity to build a sense of responsibility.
- For teens, gardening can help to release their stress and also peer pressure.
Trends of gardening 2021
Not everyone is lucky to have a garden space. So people shifted the trend and start growing houseplants.
The vegetable gardening trend’s popularity skyrocketed last year and it’s still growing in 2021. People are choosing to grow their vegetables and fruits. It is a fresh, organic, and cheaper way.
Moreover, kitchen gardens ensure a fresh supply of vegetables and fruits at any time.
With growing awareness of nature, people have shifted to sustainable gardening. They are using homemade compost, growing native plants, watering plants, and organic fertilizers.
Lockdown has given people enough leisure time to be creative. Now instead of heavy pots, people are using different containers to row different vegetables and herbs.
People are also using their creativity and decorating their house and garden with beautiful and colorful plants. They are re-living their dream of building a dream house.
People are trying gardening to bring their families to close. Now that everyone is having enough time, parents and kids are trying to grow plants together.
With people locked in their homes, they had started to grow plants indoors. There are many options one can grow indoor such as microgreens, herbs, and other indoor plants.