Does Nikon Lens Work On Canon?
There’s been a silent competition going on for years between Nikon and Canon. Many photographers struggle to choose between them.
Regardless of the ongoing battle between the cameras, many individuals choose the Nikon over The canon lens for good reasons. However, You can use a Nikon to Canon lens adapter.
We understand it’s hard to believe, but it’s true. Unlike the old days, your old lens from another DSLR won’t be useless. Let’s go through the key takeaways from this article.
- Can you use one lens for another?
- How to choose the ideal adapter for the lens
- How to mount it
- Benefits of using it
- Drawbacks of using it
So without further ado, let’s get started.
Can You Use The Nikon Lens On Canon?
Yes, with the right adapter you can use the Nikon lens on A Canon DSLR. Just so you know, the earlier Nikon model uses a mounted lens and the present models use a G lens.
If you wish to replace the existing Canon lens with a Nikon lens, then first you must determine the kind of lens mount it has. Without it, you might get the wrong adapter. As these adapters vary from different lenses.
Let’s take the lens for Nikon d90 camera for example. It has an F-mount lens. For such a lens, you’ll need a generic adapter to use on a Canon camera which will cost you about 20$. If the Nikon lens is a G-mount type then it will need a specialised adapter. These adapters come at a higher price range, going up to 300$.
How To Select An Adapter For Lens Replacement?
An adapter comes with two body types, one is a plastic boy and another one is with a metal body. In comparison, the metal body frame adapter is much better considering they’re more durable.
When choosing an adapter, make sure it’s sturdy and reliable. Don’t buy a cheap brand. Also, ensure they are adjustable for both lenses.
How To Mount A Nikon Lens On Canon?
After choosing the ideal adapter for your old Nikon lens, it’s time to mount it on your Canon camera. If you don’t know the proper methods of mounting the lens, then follow us through the given process.
- First, take the Nikon lens and the adapter, then locate the red dot on the adapter.
- Maths the adapter’s red dot with the lens and plug it inside. Then rotate it counterclockwise until you hear a click sound. Make sure your camera is turned off.
- Now turn on the Canon camera, and you’ll see a status ber show it doesn’t recognize the lens. You can ignore that, then just open up the lens cover and start clicking photos.
Note– with a manual adapter you can’t use any auto focus function with the camera. For focus adjustments, you have to do them manually. Although it’s a hassle, it gives a chance to get more professional photographs.
Benefits Of Using An Adapter For Lens Replacement
If you have been in photography for a long time, then you know that Nikon and Canon both have their upbringings and shortcomings, in some cases Nikon lenses are better than Canon lenses and vise-versa. But with an adapter, you get the benefit of both with either of these cameras. Let’s show you how
- With an adapter, you’ll have the flexibility to use a Nikon lens on Canon and vise-versa.
- An adapter allows you to use Nikon lenses on a Canon body. This is a cheap solution because adapters are usually less expensive in comparison.
- It helps your camera conversion easier as you can use your familiar lens on a new camera model.
- An adapter is super easy to use just attach it to the lens and camera, and you’re all set to click pictures.
- With an adapter, you can reduce any shortcomings with a single model of lens. As with it, you’re able to change it to a more suitable model. Also, you don’t have to throw away the earlier lenses, rather you can use them on the new camera model.
- Some adapters come with a manual aperture change function that allows you to adapt the aperture manually without going through the hectic camera settings.
Please note that the Canon camera manufacturer doesn’t make ultra wide angle lenses, but the Nikon manufacturer does. So if you want to click ultra wide angle shots with your Canon camera you can use the lens from Nikon with an adapter.
Drawbacks Of Using An Adapter For Lens Replacement
Now that you’ve learned about the perks of using an adapter for lens replacement, then it’s fair that you should also know about the drawbacks of using an adapter, right? It’ll help you make your decision of using a lens adapter much easier.
Let’s begin, shall we?
- Any automated function of the lens won’t work with a manual adapter. Although you can use it, it comes with an inbuilt chip that helps you connect the camera’s mainframe. However, it doesn’t always work properly.
- Just so you know, if you are new to DSLR then using a manual focusing system will be hard for you. A slight hand slip will ruin the focus and ruin the photograph.
- While changing the lens, if you’re not careful then you might damage the third party lens and the inbuilt lens both. That’ll leave your camera useless.
From the above discussion you’ve learned all that we promised in the beginning, including its perks and drawbacks. No matter how consequences look to you at first glance. However, the benefits of using the adapter outways the drawback.
If you wish to have the benefits of both Nikon and Canon cameras and don’t want to go through buying them, then using an adapter is the best possible solution for you. Not only it’s easier to use but also you can get the benefit of both lenses with a single camera.