WHO IS A MECHANICAL DESIGNER?
A mechanical designer is someone who creates technical designs on mechanical equipment. Working closely with engineers and other professionals, their work is to improve and develop drawing for a variety of machines and computers. Mechanical Designers need to have excellent analytical skills and problem solving skills. They typically work in a office setting and review specifications and other data in order to develop mechanical layouts. They use physics to build designs.
So, the basics of what does a mechanical designer do are clear. But the question ponders, how to start a mechanical design start-up? Let’s discuss.
Things to Consider Before Starting a Mechanical Design Firm
Before starting a design company one must evaluate why they want to start a design company; what’s the purpose?
Maybe doing business is your lifelong dream or you are a grad student ready to take the next step in life or maybe you are very passionate about engineering, design and are curious about starting a business. Getting your priorities straight will help you to make a clear attainable goal and work on it.
Once your goal is set in your mind, you need to have a clear understanding of business structuring. There are 3 main business structures namely: LLC, S CORP and C CORP. researching is the key to have proper knowledge about your business. Hiring a business coach might help as well, because they have clear strategies to offer you. You can discuss tax issues with them and discuss different tax implications.
The next and the most important part is the building of online presence. Creating website is the key to business because, well, it is the 21st century. People look at websites and decide whether or not you should be their designer. They pay attention to service quality by the quality of your website. Using Squarespace and Wix software you can create unique websites that your future clients will love. And for your website to work perfectly you will need to showcase your best design work.
But building a website isn’t all; you need traffic. Generating organic traffic is the key. To do this writing about design related topics will help a lot. Use your social media presence to generate traffic and interesting clients. Targeting your target audience will bring potential clients to click on your webpage and get your business.
Not getting the right systems in place is the biggest mistake entrepreneurs make. You have to make sure to have enough cash flow in the bank so that you can float in the market for a while as most businesses don’t make any money for the first year. Systems are the key to set up for success from day 1.
Responsibilities of a Mechanical Designer
A mechanical designer needs to prepare calculations of the proposed machine before completing technical drawings. They need to sketch up designs using the help of engineers and architects. They need to have knowledge in factors such as tolerance, dimensions, and thermal and structural analysis. They need to use customer feedbacks to improve their designs.
Procedure For Machine Design
Let’s take a look at the procedures to create a Machine Design. There are 7 steps through which a successful machine design can be attained. Below is the detailed procedure for machine design:
- Identifying the Need: Finding out the main reason and purpose of designing a machine helps clear ideas and gives the solution to the problem.
- Select the Possible Mechanism: There are different kids of mechanisms available. Selecting the best possible mechanism for the given project helps to get further in the design process.
- Analysis of Forces: Analysing different scheme of forces and powers and transmissions among different machine elements is the next step in machine design.
- Selection of Materials: Materials differ from product to product and different elements of a design use different materials. Selecting best suited materials help enhance the product immensely.
- Design of Elements: A machine should be designed in such a way that it can withstand the test of time and accept operations. For that to happen, we need to analyse size, stress of different elements. We also need to keep in mind the force used to drive the elements and design elements likewise.
- Modifications: Modification is extremely important in the process. During the process, certain factors will change so the design will be needed to change accordingly. For example: reducing overall cost, unavailability of materials etc all call for modifications. Modifications can also be done to better the design.
- Detailed Drawings: The final stage of deciding what type of machine to be build. In this stage a detailed drawing of the product is made before proceeding to production